Monday, March 29, 2010

Tales from the Pit - 10 Customer Types Part II

#9 - THE NON-ENGLISH ONES

Every now and then, I get customers who are so foreign that I feel like I'm hosting a mini United Nations reception. Generally, garbled English to thickly accented English will get you by reasonably well. Other times, rudimentary hand motions and pointing actions work.

However, sometimes, there's stuff that really is lost in translation...

"I want a fish sandwich." The man said, in a slurred accent, his hair somewhat askew and reeking of marijuana.
"I'm sorry but we don't sell any fish sandwiches."
"But...you have catfish...and sandwiches..."
"Yes, but we don't have any catfish sandwiches."
"CATFISH! SANDWICHES!" He yelled, pointing wildly at the menu.
"WE DO NOT HAVE FISH SANDWICHES! WE HAVE CATFISH AND BBQ SANDWICHES! Both are SEPARATE!

No comments:

Post a Comment