Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tales from the Pit - Taking Out The Trash

There are days when things are good and there are days when things are bad. There are also days when you go on a massive power trip and it is so gratifying on so many different levels.

This was one of those days.

The lunch rush had passed and I was idling away at the cash register. It was another Monday, another slow day. It was mildly sad on some levels and just entirely mind numbing on others. The restaurant stood empty and quiet. A truck drove past the window and turned in towards our parking lot.

The door opened and a customer walked in. He wore a yellow jacket, denoting his work with water services along with sunglasses masking his eyes. He looked around and turned to me.

"What kind of restaurant is this?" He inquired.

"It's a barbecue place." I replied mildly, automatically initiating a routine that I was so used to. He glanced around and at me.

"What do YOU know about barbecue?" He said, a tinge of accusation in his voice.

"...Excuse me?" I was slightly confused, my brow furrowed as I broke out of my routine.

"What do YOU know about barbecue?" Again, he asked me, his tone betraying a sense of disbelief and confrontation.

I appraised his body language, noting the folding arms across the chest as well as the almost sneering manner of speech. Essentially, I was being judged. I normally deal with my fair share of crap but I believe this was the first time someone actually had questioned our purpose of even bothering to exist, as if intending to stir up trouble That alone told me all I need to know about the type of person I was dealing with. I gathered my wits about me and looked at him straight in the eye.

"You can leave...if you want..."
"What was that..." He said, the first sign of mild doubt and confusion appearing on his face.

I smiled at him and gave him my death stare from hell, boring past the dark sunglasses shield his eyes and underneath the blackness of his skin, straight through the parietal lobe and back out the window.

"You can leave...if you want. The door's right there." I motioned to the door, whilst smiling politely.

"Fine, I'll leave." He stared and walked out the door, all the while muttering something that was most likely incoherent and irrelevant. As the door closed, I settled back into a chair, mildly confused and shocked at what I had done before I was overwhelming with a feeling in the pit of my stomach which I can describe simply as euphoric. That was expected since I just pretty much had a massive power trip on so many levels which was unexpectedly satisfying.

As far as my treatment of him goes, I'd say he deserves it. After all, getting insulted is below my pay grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment